that time should be
So rich yet fugitive a pageantry.

forsake it then and with us fly
Into the past where nothing now can die:
Where even the young and lovely, old and staid
Live on unchanged - of purest fantasy made.

Prologue - W. de la Mare

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A Monumental Visit 1945

A Monumental Visit - 1945   CSI #47
A Monumental Visit 1945

CSI #47: used all five colors

My evidence: patchwork pattern, frames, foliage, gold metal accents, mesh

My testimony: I documented a visit by my Mother to our nation's home, included the words visit and welcome in my journaling, and included how this visit impacted my life:

"September, 1945, Mom and her sister Betty had taken a train to So. Carolina to meet their brother Frank at Parris Island. They wanted to be there to welcome him home from the war. Frank, a Marine sergeant who had served 2 years in the Pacific Campaign, was being transferred to Boston to await discharge from active service.

The siblings, along with 2 other Marines, would be taking a road trip in Frank's new car, back to Massachusetts. Because of time constraints, it would be a whirlwind affair. The Marines were expected to arrive expediently via the most direct route. They were given a gas mileage ration of $0.03 per mile and a meal allowance of $1.00 per meal. They were expected to "maintain decorum at all times."

The highlight of the trip would be a stop in Washington, D.C., our nation's home. Here we see the siblings posing in front of the Washington Monument. Mom and Betty both wore the wide legged loose trousers that were in fashion, carried identical "bohemian" handbags, and wore white sandals. Although it is difficult to see the Monument in these photos, it is there! This was a "monumental" visit for my Mom in so many ways. She had a great love of history, and this visit, no matter that it was a brief daylong one,was a fulfillment of a childhood yearning. The visit fanned the flames of her desire to learn and see more of our country's great landmarks. And indeed, she passed that love onto me. As a child I was taken to many "historical" sites. Mom gave me a very thorough lesson wherever we went. Of course, there were times when I most definitely did not appreciate this and was not a willing student. But today, I am so very grateful that this monumental visit also impacted my life in such a wonderful way!!"

I made the patchwork quilt pattern - "Mariner's Compass" as a backdrop for the photos and included the 4 points of direction. Of course, this page is oriented North, the way the travelers were journeying home

No comments:

Post a Comment